The Unclassifiable Library Remix

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Randomosity

Beginning of the month always means reports.  Running statistical reports, writing and submitting my monthly report, eating lunch while I work on reports, the usual.  Today also got to add assessment reporting to the mix, but at least a very kind colleague brought me a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks, which made it far more enjoyable to work on.

In addition to the regular beginning of the month fare, today I had my first faculty senate meeting. I was elected to my three year term at the end of the last academic year and begin my term this fall.  It ought to be interesting to experience, especially learning to strike the balance between speaking as an effective agent for representing faculty interests and not getting drawn into the politics of academia.  I was told not to say a word for an entire year and to just listen and get the lay of the political land, but it's really not who I am and will definitely be a challenge.  I did ask one question during the senate meeting today, which I hope was innocuous enough not to cause any issues.  Our campus health committee is investigating our policies regarding smoking on campus and emphasizing the problem with compliance with the policy.  I asked if any smokers were on the policy making committee, as I thought that might increase compliance with the policy.  Let's see how long that one takes to come back to haunt me.  Academia is like a courtroom at times - "any thing you say can and will be used against you."




No comments: