The Unclassifiable Library Remix

Monday, September 17, 2012

Controversy


Oh goodie.  I am so excited about my first controversial post on the library page. I love to stir up controversy and discussion, simply because it makes people think.  I highlighted a recent acquisition and was accused of political partisanship.  It was especially funny as it was an accusation that I was advocating for the right when all of my friends know that I am a bleeding heart liberal.  But without getting into politics here, let's say that just because I disagree with a work doesn't mean I won't include it in posts that represent the library in general.  The library's page is not my page, and therefore must sometimes represent views that are not my own in order to be fair to all patrons of varying beliefs.  To the patron who commented, I gently replied that partisanship was not meant by the post and that I was only trying to highlight the importance of the day (Constitution Day), a new library acquisition, and we have many works on the topic that represent various points of view.  A good lesson to remember with Banned Books Week coming up.  

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." 
- Beatrice Hall, The Friends of Voltaire, 1906




No comments: