The Unclassifiable Library Remix

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Things I Don't Have to Think About Today

A fan of the blog and the author, I have long loved this reminder to not complain of life's little inconveniences and be thankful for all that I have.

Also really love his blog's appearance...may have to do some redesign on mine.
Amplify’d from whatever.scalzi.com

Things I Don’t Have to Think About Today

Today I don’t have to think about those who hear “terrorist” when I speak my faith.

Today I don’t have to think about men who don’t believe no means no.

Today I don’t have to think about how the world is made for people who move differently than I do.

Today I don’t have to think about whether I’m married, depending on what state I’m in.

Today I don’t have to think about how I’m going to hail a cab past midnight.
Today I don’t have to think about whether store security is tailing me.

Today I don’t have to think about the look on the face of the person about to sit next to me on a plane.

Today I don’t have to think about eyes going to my chest first.

Today I don’t have to think about what people might think if they knew the medicines I took.

Today I don’t have to think about getting kicked out of a mall when I kiss my beloved hello.
Today I don’t have to think about if it’s safe to hold my beloved’s hand.

Today I don’t have to think about whether I’m being pulled over for anything other than speeding.

Today I don’t have to think about being classified as one of “those people.”

Today I don’t have to think about making less than someone else for the same job at the same place.

Today I don’t have to think about the people who stare, or the people who pretend I don’t exist.
Today I don’t have to think about managing pain that never goes away.

Today I don’t have to think about whether a stranger’s opinion of me would change if I showed them a picture of who I love.

Today I don’t have to think about the chance a store salesmen will ignore me to help someone else.

Today I don’t have to think about the people who’d consider torching my house of prayer a patriotic act.

Today I don’t have to think about a pharmacist telling me his conscience keeps him from filling my prescription.
Today I don’t have to think about being asked if I’m bleeding when I’m just having a bad day.

Today I don’t have to think about whether the one drug that lets me live my life will be taken off the market.

Today I don’t have to think about the odds of getting jumped at the bar I like to go to.

Today I don’t have to think about “vote fraud” theater showing up at my poll station.

Today I don’t have to think about turning on the news to see people planning to burn my holy book.
Today I don’t have to think about others demanding I apologize for hateful people who have nothing to do with me.

Today I don’t have to think about my child being seen as a detriment to my career.

Today I don’t have to think about the irony of people thinking I’m lucky because I can park close to the door.

Today I don’t have to think about memories of being bullied in high school.

Today I don’t have to think about being told to relax, it was just a joke.
Today I don’t have to think about whether someone thinks I’m in this country illegally.

Today I don’t have to think about those who believe that freedom of religion ends with mine.

Today I don’t have to think about how a half-starved 23-year-old being a cultural ideal affects my life.

Today I don’t have to think about how much my life is circumscribed by my body.

Today I don’t have to think about people wanting me cured of loving who I love.
Today I don’t have to think about those who view me an unfit parent because of who I love.

Today I don’t have to think about being told my kind don’t assimilate.

Today I don’t have to think about people blind to the intolerance of their belief lecturing me about my own.

Today I don’t have to think about my body as a political football.

Today I don’t have to think about how much my own needs wear on those I love.
Today I don’t have to think about explaining to others “what happened to me.”

Today I don’t have to think about politicians saying bigoted things about me to win votes.

Today I don’t have to think about those worried that one day people like me will be the majority.

Today I don’t have to think about someone using the name of my religion as a slur.

Today I don’t have to think about so many of the words for me controlling my own life being negatives.
Today I don’t have to think about still not being equal.

Today I don’t have to think about what it takes to keep going.

Today I don’t have to think about how much I still have to hide.

Today I don’t have to think about how much prejudice keeps hold.

Today I don’t have to think about how I’m meant to be grateful that people tolerate my kind.
Today I don’t have to think about all the things I don’t have to think about.

But today I will.
Read more at whatever.scalzi.com

No comments: